Tuesday 1 May 2012

Occupational Engagement, Doing, Being, Becoming and Belonging.

My chosen occupation is art and craft. This occupation was focussed mainly in my fieldwork two placement at Sara Cohen – a school for students with special learning needs. Art can be defined as “the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance” (Dictionary.com, 2012). Craft is the “skill in doing or making something, as in the arts; proficiency” (Answers, 2012). I chose this occupation because the students at Sara Cohen enjoyed engaging in it and I was involved by planning an arts and craft activity for the students to carry out.
Doing, being, belonging and becoming are all important when engaging in meaningful occupation. Wilcock (1998) states that doing is part of engaging in purposeful activities that bring a sense of self-worth, being is taking the time to reflect and appreciate, belonging is having social interaction and a sense of inclusion, and finally becoming is imaging a future of who or what we wish to become. Each of the images presented in my slideshow represent these concepts discussed above. Below is what each image refers to:
Image 1: The creation of a daisy chain.
Image 2: Hand-made cushions.
Image 3: The Mona Lisa.
Image 4: Mask made for a masquerade School Ball.
Image 5: Aborigine painting.
Image 6: Face paint for the Rugby World Cup 2011.
Image 7: Origami swans.
Image 8: Hand painting of an eagle.
Image 9: Body paint/art performance.
Image 10: Weaved flax flower.
Image 11: Scrapbooking.
Image 12: Neck tattoo.
Image 13: Winter snowman.
Image 14: Nail art.
Image 15: Fantasy sketching.
Image 16: Food art – carved apple butterfly.
Image 17: Soccer team magnets.
Image 18: Coffee creation.
Image 19: Graffiti art.
Image 20: Popsicle stick money box.
While putting my slideshow together, I was well aware of the ethical considerations. For those images that I found off the internet, I have referenced them correctly as the items are not my personal work. I found a few quotes to demonstrate what my occupation was and these were also referenced in the slideshow. Lastly, I used several of my own images so therefore there are no ethical implications regarding them as it was my personal photography.


References:




Art. (n.d.). Dictionary.com. Retrieved April 28, 2012, from dictionary.reference.com/browse/art

Craft. (n.d.). Answers. Retrieved April 28, 2012, from www.answers.com/topic/craft

Wilcock, A.A. (1998).  Reflections on doing, being becoming.  Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 248-256.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley,

    I really enjoyed your doing, being, becoming and belonging post. It mentions that you did various art and craft activities at your placement. I was wondering what kind of activities you and the students participated in?

    Thanks,

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,

    Thanks! Yes I was on a placement at a school for students with intellectual disabilities. The main art and craft activity that the students and I engaged in was a textured card game. We helped the students glue different textured materials onto cardboard squares, and when they were dry we helped them to identify similar textures. The students really loved being involved, it was a great exercise.

    ReplyDelete